Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Construction Zone

I practically need to wear a hard hat for all the construction I've been doing over here.

I've finished making all the units required for the Saltbox quilt I wrote about in a previous post.  All together I needed 8 houses, 6 trees and 12 Sawtooth stars.  The first few stars went together with no problem, but then I tried making 3 at once, and instead of stars, I ended up with square-in-a-square blocks:
You can probably tell by the quality of the photo, that it was taken at night. ( Note to self: don't quilt when you should be getting ready for bed!)

I re-made the faulty flying geese units in the correct colors this time, and in the end I had these:
I purposely put off making the last one in case I needed a certain color combo in the finished layout.

One thing I learned about Sawtooth Stars is that sewing two or more stars together is a real challenge to get them to lie flat.  There are so many intersections with multiple seam allowances.  Here is an example of just some of the areas where the seam allowances piled up.

I found that what worked best for me was to use a wool pressing mat, which retains the heat, and then laying a heavy book on top of the freshly ironed block to allow it to set a bit while it cooled.

I was pretty satisfied with the result.  Those blocks laid FLAT!


After finishing all the individual units, I settled on a layout, trying to evenly distribute the lights and darks,  the various colors, and the busy backgrounds.  Oh I can't count how many times I switched blocks, stood back to look at it and then decided something else had to be changed. 

At last, I had all the horizontal rows sewn together:

I'm a little undecided if I want to sew all the vertical rows together, or if I want to put a sashing between each row as a separator:

I think the sashing between the rows would make it a little less chaotic and a little more like streets.  I plan on living with it on the design board for a few days before I decide.

.

6 comments:

  1. that is a good idea on the book over the seams to lay flat. I sometimes resort to a little spray starch and then get them really flat and when they cool off lay a couple rulers and sit an old flat iron over the ruler - some seams are just stubborn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a good system. I starch my fabrics before I cut into them, and I find that the heat from the iron tends to re-activate the stiffness a little bit which is extremely helpful. Thanks for taking time to comment.

      Delete
  2. I just love how these are looking all together. You did so well with finding how to flatten those many seams and your result is perfection! This is turning out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I went and picked out border fabric yesterday, and can't wait to get this sewn together. Hopefully, after the holiday rush.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. As you have read the more recent blog post about this quilt, I guess you have seen how it turned out! LOL!

      Delete