Saturday, October 17, 2020

Making do with what you have on hand

As much as I love the Civil War reproduction fabrics, I really wanted to shift gears and work with some brighter, cheerful colors.  I remembered I had bought some fabric samples at my local quilt shop's SuperBowl Sunday sale:

These 3 sample cards were all from the same fabric line, and so they worked well together. The cards measure about 12 X 15", so  there was actually a lot of fabric on them.  Taking the one on the far right and spreading it out, there was all this:

Although not juvenile prints, I thought they would make a nice donation quilt for Quilts for Kids.  So, I played around with EQ software, and came up with this pattern for a quilt:

I needed to add just a few fabrics from my stash to have enough for a quilt top.  

The basic block is just one long rectangle and 2 squares, separated by white sashing.

The best part was playing with putting the fabrics up on the design board:

It looked a little chaotic at first glance, but when I added in the white sashing, it all worked out nicely.  Here is the completed top:

I might add an outer border, but it will have to wait until I can shop again at the fabric store, whenever that might be possible.

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Hexies with yellow centers


In addition to the pieced blocks that I made each month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I made appliqued hexagon blocks.   

Prior to the challenge, I had a stack of English Paper Pieced hexies in a rainbow of hues:

I sorted them out by color and picked a batch each month to applique to a white background:

By the end of the challenge year, I had them all appliqued:

I had purposely appliqued them to an oversized white background square so that I could trim them up evenly when I was ready to sew them together.  Once again, I turned to my trusty Tucker Trimmer ruler to get them perfectly sized.  By positioning  the center point of the ruler over the center of the middle hexagon, I was able to size them all to a uniform  4 inch size.

Now they had a more cozy setting:

I chose to border them with a narrow yellow inner border, and a red outer border with yellow cornerstones.  I plan on using a solid red binding to corral those yellow cornerstones in with the rest of the gang.

I'm going to be make this into a Spring table topper for my kitchen.  Those bright "depression era" fabrics are anything but depressing.  

Another finish that would probably still be in a drawer if it hadn't been for the motivation of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.   You can see what this year's Rainbow Scrappers are creating here.

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Rainbow Wrapup

Last year, I participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge but never got around to posting my finished quilt tops.

Each month, I made six Birds in the Air blocks and one Crumb block from the chosen color.

Eventually I had quite the rainbow of "birds".

I chose primary colored blocks and made this arrangement:

I added a bright border containing all the colors and the finished top looked like this:

Here's a closeup of the border fabric:

I still had all the pink/turquoise/fuschia blocks to work with, plus some extra primary colored birds so I put them together in a second quilt top:

Here is the border fabric I used for that one:

I was fortunate that both border fabrics were acquired for only $1.00 a yard at my quilt guild's yard sale last year.  Both quilt tops are child sized and were donated to my local chapter of Quilts for Kids.

I still had all the Crumb blocks to play with:

I decided to put them together in a wonky setting:

To get the wonky look, each block is sewn to asymmetrical borders, which were cut from rectangles of a splashy paint print fabric.

Here's an example of the pink block:

I ended up with this youthful quilt top:

In the end, I'm not crazy about it.  I would not have chosen the bright blue sashing if I had been working at home, but I sewed this together at a quilt retreat and the blue sashing was what I had with me.  However, I think a child will find it a fun distraction to cuddle under, so it was donated to Quilts for Kids as well.

Thank you , Angela, at Soscrappy for hosting another year of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  You can see what other scrappy creations are being sewn up for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2020 over at the link-up here.

Saturday, June 20, 2020

For My Father

I was blessed to have a wonderful father.  He has been gone four years now and I still miss him every day, especially on Father's Day.    A few years ago, I made a quilt for my mother using his flannel plaid shirts , and this past year I decided to make a quilt for myself using his cotton summer shirts.

Dad's favorite color was blue, and it was reflected in the clothing he chose.  I had 12 different summer plaid shirts to work with, and most of them were blue so they played together nicely.

The pattern I chose was called "Cool Summer Porch" by Eleanor Burns.  The title alone seemed to make it the perfect pattern choice.

To start, I deconstructed the shirts and ironed the pieces flat.

Each shirt sleeve yielded two squares of fabric which I then subcut on the diagonal.  I cut them all individually so that I could be sure to line up the plaids with the straight edge of the ruler.

One triangle was sewn to each side of a white strip of fabric:

The resulting quilt was supposed to look something like this, according to my Electric Quilt software:

In the end, I eliminated the horizontal and vertical white sashing because it competed visually with the lines in the plaids, and I rearranged the direction of the white stripe.

The final result is this:

Of the 12 shirts I used, I was able to find a photos of my Dad wearing 9 of them.  I will be adding a pocket to the back of the quilt with copies of the photos as a keepsake.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads.  💗

post signature
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...