Saturday, December 2, 2023

Building Houses


Here is the design for my latest quilt project, as illustrated using Electric Quilt software. 

This will be my version of Carrie Nelson's pattern "Come On-a My House" from Miss Rosie's Farmhouse Favorites. Here is her original from the book:

I don't want a full size quilt, so I redrafted the house blocks to a smaller size, and edited out the larger stars. In my last post I showed the tree units I had made so far, and this week I started building the houses.  

Each house consists of 36 pieces.  In a weeks time, I have only completed the sewing on 2 houses:

But, I have cut out all the pieces for 3 more:
They only look wonky because they are not yet sewn

 
UPDATE:  Monday.  I finished sewing the 3 houses I had cut out:

I realized it's not the sewing that takes the most time, its the choosing of 6 fabrics that will work together and yet still have enough contrast, and then cutting those fabrics, keeping in mind any directional prints.



 I'm going to take a short break from building houses, and start working on the Sawtooth Stars.

By the way, Carrie Nelson came up with the name of her quilt  (Come On-a My House)  from the song made famous by Rosemary Clooney, but I'm going to call mine just "Saltbox" which is what the style of the  houses remind me of.







4 comments:

  1. I much prefer your version. Can’t wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, Dawn, that means a lot coming from you! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Your houses and trees are so cute! I love the fabric combinations you put together. I ran into trouble with directional prints when I was making a house quilt earlier this year - they can really be challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really helped to start off this project with a bundle of coordinating fabrics. I admit I have dipped into my stash a few times for some help.

      Delete