Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Dogs in Sweaters


What's cuter than a dog in a sweater?  How about lots of dogs in sweaters? 

I bought this pattern by Elizabeth Hartman thinking it would be a cute pattern for my sister, who has two sweet little doxies who go by the names Frankie and Penny.   

The pattern for the dogs has a lot of little pieces.  I found it best to keep them organized by drawing  the units to the exact size on the side of a file folder, and then placing the cut units on the corresponding squares.  That way, I could cut all the units for four dogs at the same time.

For the "sweater" fabric, I used flannel, leftover from the flannel quilt   I made from my father's shirts.  (Of course, being as this was to be a gift for my sister, they were her father's shirts also. )

Instead of a plain background, I decided on some simple, scrappy squares, choosing fabrics that would blend nicely with  the dog's colors:

When the top was finished, I handed it off to the local quilt shop for quilting.  I chose a large looping heart for the quilt pattern, and a perfectly matched "doxie brown" minkee fabric for the back.


Here is my sister, showing off her new quilt!


Linking up to the Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More


2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is really cute! I love the dogs and the pretty patchwork background, too. It does sound like this is perfect for your sister! Visiting you to say thanks for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so well! I like the modifications you made to the pattern and think your system for keeping the little pieces in order is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete