Saturday, July 20, 2019

Scrappy Pineapple Progress

I spent time this week making more progress with my scrappy pineapples.

I started these blocks  as a way to use up some scrappy strings, and they have quickly become some of my favorite blocks.

The blocks are made in alternating rounds of lights and darks.  As each round is added, you don't need to have pieces that extend all the way to the edges of the block (like you would when making a Log Cabin,)
because those white strips get trimmed down to triangles before sewing the next round.


It was interesting to see the piles of trimmings leftover from each round as they collected across the top of my cutting mat, with lights and darks corresponding to each round

After 8 rows were sewn, my pineapples looked like this:

 Note that each block still needed an outer corner:

The instructions that come with the ruler, suggest adding one more strip of dark fabric to each corner and then trimming:

Instead of reaching for a new strip for the corners, I rummaged around in the pile of trimmings and found cast off triangles that would do the job:

I sewed a triangle to each corner, and pressed them open:

Then one final trim.

One advantage of using the triangles on the corners is that they help stabilize what would otherwise be all bias edges.

Here are my nine scrappy pineapple blocks:

I like the way they look with the white showing through between each block, so I will be sewing them together with white sashing strips.   I looked in my scrap pile to see if I had something white that I could use, and I found this:

Shh, don't tell anyone that if you look closely you will see it is printed with snowflakes.  Actually, with the heat wave we are currently experiencing, it's nice to be reminded of snow. 😄




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment