Friday, June 29, 2018

One panel = Two quilts

Here is the panel I started with:

and here is what was left of it  after making the "Tutu Fairy" quilt described in my previous post:

I knew that there was another quilt hiding in there somewhere, and I still had a yard of fabric printed with small castles:


With castles being the main theme, I started with the six castle blocks in the panel:

I liked the narrow borders of red and pink on the top row, so instead of trimming them off to match the size of the castles in the bottom row, I decided to add narrow borders to the castles in the bottom row:

My red and pink fabrics were not perfect matches, but I think they did the trick:

Now that I had the castles figured out, I did the same border treatment to the last four panel motifs:

Then I turned my attention to the star strips:

They were not long enough to use as is, so I combined them into two longer strips, and added multiple narrow strips to widen them a little bit:

Now I had all the ingredients to sew up a small quilt:

The coordinating castle fabric made the perfect border.  Here is the before and after:





post signature

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Are you going to donate this one, too? It's sure to make one little child very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this one will be donated as well. I get a kick out of playing with the bright juvenile prints, and knowing it might make a hospital room a little more cheerful for a child makes it all the more fun to work on.

      Delete
  2. So pretty! I love how you set your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosemary. It's fun to just begin with an idea and let it grow from there.

      I'm happy with how they turned out, but you can't really go wrong... A child is going to like it anyway.

      Delete