Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So here's the thing...

I've got some new photo processing software on my computer now, but it is so far forward from my old software that it's going to take some time to learn.  If I'm lucky, I will upload a picture of my latest fnished quilt and it will appear below:


It worked!  This is the quilt I just finished, called "Coral Reef".  I had the center portion finished for  last Christmas, and I gave it to my husband to let him decide if he wanted it as a wall-hanging or as a lap quilt.  He decided on lap quilt, so I expanded it in length and finally got it turned into a quilt.

Machine quilting is probably my least favorite part of quilting, but it has to be done in order to finsh a quilt, so I've had to find a way to make it work.  I quilted a diagonal line of straight stitching across all the squares and into the borders, but I skipped over the fish scenes.  Later, I went back with some variegated thread and did a wavy stitch across the fish to try and suggest some motion of the water.  Hopefully you can see the curved stitching in the photo below.

It's so nice to have this lap quilt all finished and ready to use.  Less than a year has gone by  since I gave it to my husband, so I'm not officially late yet, right?   Isn't there some kind of extended "statute of giving" for quilters?  No?  Well, we should start one.

post signature

9 comments:

  1. I still love that quilt. And, hey, it can't be late, right? He's had it all along, it just wasn't finished. But, it's been where he lives. The Flavin Glover pattern was available free on the net. It was a fun one. I have another that's a UFO. Blocks are all made, just not put together. I lost my steam after the first one. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt ,your hubby must be very proud of it and you .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when you did the center part! You did a great job of continuing and making it into a lap quilt. Your quilting is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous quilt! I truly love how the whole thing turned out. Way to go with Finn's challenge! A great big finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love that turquoise colour. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finishing one of your UFO's. I still love this quilt, especially the colors. Great job! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt sure did turn out nice. I like the wavey line over the fish. A job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Em, how very pretty. I love all the blues, it has lots of motion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out wonderfully, and just in time for snuggling up underneath it. I'm sure your husband is appreciative!

    ReplyDelete