Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Copy that, Good Buddy!

Ever heard of a Buddy Quilt?  Neither had I, until a local class was being offered.  The concept of a buddy quilt is that two quilters work together to make different components of the same quilt.  You make twice as many of your units, and your buddy makes twice as many as hers, and then you swap your extras.  Now you each have all the units you need for a completed quilt.   My longtime friend and quilter buddy Linda asked me if I would be interested in taking the class with her. I was intrigued by the idea, so we both signed up.

Linda and I have been to many quilt shows and lectures together and we both seem to gravitate toward the same jewel tone colors.  In fact we have dubbed ourselves the "Jewel Tone Gals", so I knew that we could agree on what fabrics to use for our Buddy quilts.

We picked this bright Gingko leaf fabric for our focus fabric, along with a coordinating green and blue.


The buddy quilt pattern was basically a Card Trick block, set on point, and surrounded with a Garden Maze sashing.  The class was a lot of laughs as we each created our units and then swapped them when we were done.  No one actually got their whole top assembled by the end of the day, but Linda went home and finished working on hers.  Here is her completed quilt:


And here is mine:

Guess I've got some catching up to do.

Linda used her leftover fabrics from the Buddy quilt to make a tote that she calls her "Buddy Tote".


I could learn a lot from Linda.  Everybody should have a quilt buddy like her.

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Love that fabric! I'm a nut for blue and green together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the secret is to know your buddy well. I've always been afraid that my buddy's blocks would come out a different size than mine ;-) Lane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, that is funny. I love the fabric and the quilt Linda made, gee guess you do need to get going on it and make a bag too while your at it. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some beautiful fabric. What a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete