Sunday, June 2, 2024

Crosses and Flosses

Progress continues on my Saltbox calendar series inspired by Melisa Vandergriff at Pinker 'n Punkin Quilting and Stitching.  

The next design I worked on was to represent July.  To start, I chose as my background a tie-dye looking printed Aida cloth that reminded me of Summer's blue skies and green grass.  

I wanted to go patriotic for July 4th, so I looked through Melisa's many patriotic designs and combined a few elements together. (You can check out her roundup of patriotic designs here. ) For the house, I started with "Candy Corn House", and then included a mashup of a couple of her stacked barn animals from her Christmas designs , then I tossed in a flag and a few fireworks to come up with this pattern for July:

As fun as it is to play puzzle maker with a variety of stitch patterns, it can be a bit of a challenge to make it all fit together.  So, for my next house in the series, I pretty much followed Melisa's pattern directly for my February block, aptly named "A Cold Winter's Day".  ( I did have to break down and add a few hearts for Valentine's Day, and I moved the snowman up in front of the house so he didn't get lost in the "February" label at the bottom). Here is February's stitch:

In between the Saltbox stitches, I continued working on my Nutcracker project.  I have 2 of the four nutcrackers finished, and today's slow stitching will be to continue working on number 3.  (There are 4 in all.)

Linking up to Slow Stitching Sunday at   Kathy's Quilts.




12 comments:

  1. I love your salt box calendar pieces! So fun and creative. I haven't stitched one of Melisa's houses, but thinking I want to do a patriotic one. Your July design is inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they are fun and work up pretty quickly.

      Delete
  2. Oh my what a fun and fabulous post! I love seeing how you take bits and pieces from each chart to create the perfect house for the month. Beautiful job and your color choice on each one is gorgeous. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for stitching them and for the sweetest shout out. Have a very lovely day, Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I owe you all the credit for so generously sharing your fun designs. I'm glad you like them.

      Delete
  3. Love those nutcrackers—so bright and colourful. The houses are cute too. Happy stitching! Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's fun to switch back and forth from the bright colors of the nutcrackers to the mellow, cozy colors of the houses.

      Delete
  4. How fun. I am really enjoying those salt box houses you are stitching. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I've only got 2 more to go, then I'll have to see about finishing them.

      Delete
  5. I am pretty sure I stitched a nutcrackers years ago, wonder where that is! Yours is looking really spiffy! Love your rendition of the salt boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've always loved nutcrackers at Christmas, and I know I'm not alone. Bet yours is lovely! Hope you find it.

      Delete
  6. You have lots of lovely projects on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have really been bitten by the cross stitch bug lately.

      Delete