Friday, April 26, 2024

More Crossing than Quilting at Quilt Crossing

I've finished my eighth Saltbox house for my Calendar series:

This one is called "Winter Saltbox" and is another design by Melisa Vandergriff at Pinker n Punkin Quilting and Stitching.  I stitched the pattern as designed in the called for colors with the exception of the "January" that I added to the bottom.  Only four more months to go.

In the meantime, I began thinking about what my next project would be and I came across this adorable Nutcracker pattern by Vitaliya Mishchuk on Etsy:

I just adore nutcrackers at Christmas time, and I think this looks like a fun one to stitch. It will finish at about 8 X 12", and I hope to have it done by Christmas of this year.  

 As I have said in the past, I haven't had much luck finding Aida fabric locally that isn't either white or off white.    I finally located a needlework shop about an hour's drive from me so I made a field trip.  The shop owner helped me find a nice shade of what she called "sage green" to use as my background.

It's surprising to me how much orange is used for a Christmas project.  Here is the "floss toss" for the first nutcracker on the left:

And here is what I have completed stitching so far.
 
I plan to work on one nutcracker at a time, in between finishing my last 4 saltbox houses.  It seems that after a long break, I have re-entered my "Cross Stitch Era".  I was going through an old sewing box and found a few floss bobbins from back-in-the-day.  They used to be a lot bigger than the ones I use now:


Linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts

8 comments:

  1. I like to have a cross stitch project on the go at all times. Your house is very cute and those nutcrackers are fun and colourful. Enjoy every stitch! Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gail. I do enjoy working with such bright colors.

      Delete
  2. Nutcrackers are always lovely at Christmas time. Your little January saltbox house cross stitch is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I hope I get this nutcracker project done in time to display for this year.

      Delete
  3. I love your new nutcracker project! Gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. Who would have thought there would be so much orange in a Christmas project. I had to add 2 different shades of orange to my stash for this one.

      Delete
  4. Aah your January Winter Saltbox is gorgeous. It just warms my heart to see it. Thank you so much for stitching it; I am so very honored. Great start on your Nutcrackers as well. They are quite handsome. I look forward to following your progress on it. Happy Stitching. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Melisa. Your designs and your blog always brighten my day.

      Delete