Friday, January 12, 2024

Serving up some scraps

Cynthia Brunz over at Quilting is More Fun than Housework does a remarkable job of creating Compassion quilts that she donates to a nearby hospital for their use in hospice and other support programs.  Periodically she puts out a call for donation blocks, and she is currently looking for Offset Log Cabin blocks in blues, purples and greens.

I pulled out the old strip bin and gathered some strips in those colors:

I had enough to make four blocks to send off:

The fun thing about the Offset Log Cabin is that when you sew them together you can make curves:

I can't help but think that with a little clever piecing, the Offset Log Cabin block could be used to make Christmas ornaments for a table runner. Allow me to illustrate using EQ8:


Right?



The pattern for the Offset Log Cabin and more information about the Cynthia's block drive can be found here and here if you'd like to make a few blocks to donate.


post signature


12 comments:

  1. Pretty blocks! And a good reminder, I want to make some of these for Cynthia too. Great idea for a Christmas table runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time contributing to Cynthia's compassion quilts, since I only came across her blog a little while ago, but I definitely plan to continue.

      Delete
  2. Your Christmas table runner design is a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe I'll get around to making one someday. At least I have it stored as an idea now.

      Delete
  3. What pretty blocks. . .I hadn't considered sewing different colors together. . .what a pleasing layout your four blocks make!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to try out an Offset Log Cabin block for a while now, and this was a good opportunity.

      Delete
  4. Those turned out so pretty - love your blues, purples, and greens! I do love the shape they make when you put them together the way you're showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not surprising that another name for the Offset Log Cabin is "Curved Log Cabin". I can't wait to see how Cynthia puts them together.

      Delete
  5. I was trying to figure out how to do a circle with log cabins a while ago. This is the way to do it. Must get into my purples, greens and blues and get some made up for Cynthia. I like making blocks and sending them off to others to put together! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does feel good to make something fruitful from the scraps from other projects. Thanks for you comment. Hope you have a good week too!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely set of blocks to send off to Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing how she puts all the blocks together. She really has a knack for it.

      Delete