Friday, November 17, 2023

Reimagining the Scraps

A while back, when I was cleaning out the sewing room, I rediscovered this cookie tin of scraps:


These were all the bits and pieces that were leftover from my Long Time Gone quilt. I set myself a challenge to make a quilt top using as many of these little scraps as I could. 

After unboxing, this is what I had to work with:

There were lots and lots of triangle units in various sizes.  I turned some of them into Monkey Wrench style blocks.

Some were made into churn dash blocks, and hourglass blocks:

and some were turned into pinwheels:

If I needed a few more half square triangles, there were a couple of Snowball blocks that I cut down like this, to create 4 matching triangle squares:



There was a short stack of Flying Geese blocks that I also trimmed down and re-sewed into sort of funky flowers:

Then there was this awesome little strip of tiny pieces that I couldn't imagine  what I was thinking when I made them:

So, of course I made some more!   And then used them to surround some Square in a Square blocks:

Hang in there, I promise you there is a quilt to show in the end!

I arranged what bits I had so far on my design board:

and  started playing around with placement, adding in  a few other found bits like the little House block and a few 9 patches.  Then I filled out the empty spaces with some  Log Cabin blocks  and a little strip of Flying Geese.


I also added in some strips of just scrappy squares as filler when I needed them, including surrounding the whole thing  with a border of squares:

Finally, I added two more borders, first a light tan and then a sort of cranberry, and here is the finished top.  It measures just 25 X 32 inches.

Can you imagine all this was hiding inside that box of scraps?

Linking up with Cynthia Brunz at Quilting is more fun than Housework



13 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sandra! It is really hard for me to throw even the tiniest pieces away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is delightful! I loved seeing how you did that. I've gotten a start on a scrap basket that was packed full with making 4 patches out of any pieces that I can get a 2.5 inch square out of. But they won't make anything near as fun as your little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's very fun to play with scraps, you feel like you are getting a quilt for free.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it interesting what amazing projects lurk in a pile of scraps? Your scrap quilt is totally AMAZING!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was like opening Pandora's Box. LOL!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful! Having all the units made but without the pressure of a specific pattern -- the result is a delightful design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Since your are working with scraps, it is not a big deal if you make a mistake or don't like what you have. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Wow. Such a small box could reveal such a great quilt. (Along with a lot of work on your part.) Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was kind of like the fun you get from solving a jigsaw puzzle and didn't feel like work.

      Delete
  6. That is AWESOME!!!! I recently bagged up scraps to take to guild because I never know what to do with them. Your quilt is inspiration for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say! I hope you do get some inspiration from you next bag of scraps. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. What fun! Maybe you should name your charming little quilt Pandora's Box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute idea! Perhaps even more descriptive might be "Pandemic Pandora's Box", seeing as it was something I did during lockdown when I needed to keep busy.

      Delete