Thursday, October 1, 2020

Hexies with yellow centers


In addition to the pieced blocks that I made each month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, I made appliqued hexagon blocks.   

Prior to the challenge, I had a stack of English Paper Pieced hexies in a rainbow of hues:

I sorted them out by color and picked a batch each month to applique to a white background:

By the end of the challenge year, I had them all appliqued:

I had purposely appliqued them to an oversized white background square so that I could trim them up evenly when I was ready to sew them together.  Once again, I turned to my trusty Tucker Trimmer ruler to get them perfectly sized.  By positioning  the center point of the ruler over the center of the middle hexagon, I was able to size them all to a uniform  4 inch size.

Now they had a more cozy setting:

I chose to border them with a narrow yellow inner border, and a red outer border with yellow cornerstones.  I plan on using a solid red binding to corral those yellow cornerstones in with the rest of the gang.

I'm going to be make this into a Spring table topper for my kitchen.  Those bright "depression era" fabrics are anything but depressing.  

Another finish that would probably still be in a drawer if it hadn't been for the motivation of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.   You can see what this year's Rainbow Scrappers are creating here.

9 comments:

  1. So pretty, the narrow yellow border and cornerstones along with the red (or pink) border really wake the hexie flowers up. Going to be a cheerful table topper. I would use it this winter when I need some bright cheerful color. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Beautiful! Love all those scrappy colors.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are such pretty hexie flowers, and I love the way you finished them up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely quilt, and so well-planned! (I need to work on planning BTW.) I agree, the RSC is a great motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty hexie quilt, it will look wonderful as a table topper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! All your color choices are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's going to be SEW lovely on your table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful table topper! Bright & cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your hexagon flower quilt work in progress story. A few blocks ccx a week will get it done . I need to do this.

    ReplyDelete