Sunday, May 24, 2020

Been a while...

Poor little blog has been sadly neglected for a while now.  I've been actively creating and taking photos but I just haven't been good about updating on the blog.

As a start to getting reacquainted, I thought I would write a post documenting the prayer shawls I have made since my last accounting.

First up is this blue and white combination.  This is a pattern I had done once before using just one color all the way through, but I thought I'd mix it up a little bit.


This next pattern was called "Ears of Corn", and the sample was done in all yellow and consisted of uniform rows of little spaces, (which did sort of mimic an ear of corn.)  I started out making mine in all white, but then busted out some periwinkle blue yarn to mix things up a bit.

The "Ears of Corn" pattern turned out to be fast and fun, so I decided to make another.  This time I raided the yarn stash for any leftover skeins in the blue/green family and made each row a different color.  This shawl looks so different from the previous one even though they are the same pattern.


I was really enjoying this easy to memorize pattern, so I decided to make one more.   The multi-toned purple yarn was leftover from a previous shawl, and I got to use most of it up by combining it with white and a darker purple.

Still trying to use up what leftover skeins I had on hand, I chose four shades of teal blue, from dark to light, and returned to one of my favorite patterns to make up this next one:

I also selected a bunch of pink leftovers and, using the same pattern,  combined them with white to make this next one:

Having made the above pattern several times now, and always working along the lengthwise direction, I tried using the pattern  along the short side this time.

This next one is not my favorite, and the picture doesn't do it justice.  I had a couple of skeins of yarn given to me where the colors changed throughout the skein in various shades of blue.  Some of the color changes were very subtle, and others were more defined.  I chose a simple, repetitive stitch pattern and ended up with this one:

At some point, I got the itch to do some knitting, rather than crochet.  I found this beautiful rainbow colored yarn and just went back and forth in garter stitch for a relaxing change:

Back to crochet with a new pattern.  This one created a mosaic kind of design with repeating diamond shapes:

I then used the same pattern in white, but did it in the lengthwise direction:

For my most recent project, I went back once again to the comfort of a familiar pattern and made this light/dark purple shawl:

Shawl making, especially during uncertain times, gives comfort in two ways...once for the maker and once for the recipient.  I'll be getting started on my next one ASAP.
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Auntie Em, I am so glad you are back! I have missed you and in fact was concerned when your posts just seemed to come to a sudden halt. Your crochet and knit shawls are so lovely. That Ears of Corn pattern is especially beautiful. Sadly, I never mastered knitting and crocheting, though I did try my hand at both. Good thing I can sew!

    ReplyDelete