Thursday, April 25, 2019

If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake...

 In honor of all the birthdays, I designed a sweet little birthday cake mug rug.


This little cutie measures only 5 X 6 inches, and I made a batch of them for my quilt group. I started by searching my fabric stash for any fabrics that made me think of frosted confections and came up with these:

I envisioned a strip pieced project that wouldn't take too long to put together:

The strips for the cake layers went together quickly.

But that little cake stand pedestal was a bit of a bear.  Lots of tiny pieces,


and some fiddley piecing was involved before I came up with these:

Once the strips were all prepared, I was able to chain piece them together.  I used the striped fabric for the back, and did a pillowcase style construction to make them into mug rugs.  Then I stitched in the ditch to outline the cake.

Here are 11 little mug rugs so sweet you can almost taste the sugar! 😋

post signature

10 comments:

  1. Those are darling! I hope you made one for yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! They were fun to make. I didn't expect to find cake frosting fabrics in my stash. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! How cute are these? What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The strip piecing made it a little easier to "cook" up a whole batch.

      Delete
  4. These are just adorable! The colors and fabrics are perfect for cakes! You will have me looking at my florals in a new way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually seem to use florals myself, so it was fun to get a chance to incorporate them into a project.

      Delete
  5. Those are so dang cute, they’re making me hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit that after spending the time to create a big batch of them, my sweet tooth was oddly satisfied for a while. :-)

      Delete