Saturday, March 30, 2019

Getting the green light

Participating in Rainbow Scrap Challenge is inspiring me in more ways than one.  

It's been 10 whole years since I started this blog and one of the first projects I blogged about were these English Paper Pieced hexagon flowers:

These little cuties measure just 1/2" on each side, and I had a lot of fun with fussy cuts and 1930's reproduction fabrics.  Back in 2009, I had a stack of 40 finished hexies, each with a yellow center.

I had always planned to make them into a table runner but instead, they had been stored away in the 30's fabric stash.  The idea of making lots and lots of white hexies to join them into a grandmother's flower garden was an intimidating prospect.

At this point, I can't help but think of that line from Beauty and the Beast:
Really?  Ten years!  

Then, along came the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and I noticed that Deb A of VT quilter was sewing up a selection of hexagons each month as part of her challenge.  She is appliqueing her hexie flowers to a solid background fabric instead of connecting them with additional hexagons.    I wondered if I could do the same.  I sorted out my hexies by color and took a look:

We have already done the color red, but I could work on the green for this month and still have orange, blue, purple and pink to work on in future months.

I decided I want the appliqued blocks to finish at 3 1/2 inches.

I cut white background squares to 5 inches to give me some wiggle room that I can trim later,  and appliqued my first green hexagon.

Over the course of the next week, I finished the applique on the rest of the greens:

I'm really looking forward to getting these hexagons sewn up and put together into a quilt.

And speaking of green hexagons...here is a handy wearable magnet that I use when doing handwork as a place to capture pins:

So... to Deb A. and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, thank you for getting me going again on these little lovelies.






post signature

13 comments:

  1. So happy to see your pretty hexagon flowers being brought out to finish! They are gorgeous and I can tell they are so happy to be worked on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hexagons look so sweet; you must be happy that you're finally using them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful way to use the rainbow challenge and I have stagnant hexies - I could really use the idea of applique too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great solution to the hexies! The green ones that you've appliqued already look like little bits of springtime. I'm sure you will be thrilled with this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, LOVE that you are excited about this project, again. Your GREEN hexies are SEW sweet!! Enjoy the progress you are making.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hexie flowers are just adorable! Glad you were inspired to bring them out and move them along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s a great way to move along some cute older *cough* hexies! It reminds me of the old question, How do you eat a horse? One bite at a time! Not that we’d ever eat a horse (shudder), but you get the point. Congrats on tackling this great project, and welcome to the RSC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad your hexies are getting worked on! They're too pretty to keep as a UFO!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those are lovely! I have a stack of hexies the same size of yours that I made several years ago just for the fun of it. So fun to incorporate those tiny fussycut images, right?! I look forward to seeing how your project comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hexie flowers are beautiful, with some amazing fussy cutting! I can't imagine doing EPP with 1/2" hexagons. So glad you pulled these out again--it will be fun to follow along on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fussy cutting and hexagons - so looking at yours was a treat! I look forward to seeing your hexies in the RSC each month!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, these are sew pretty! Especially the fussy cut ones. Good job moving forward on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous project! I love the photo of the hexie blocks on the window sill!

    ReplyDelete