Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Going rogue (again!)

Back in December, I began a mystery quilt along  and ended up with these blue "Plus" blocks:

I was hoping to pair them with the blue/tan stripe fabric in the photo above, but when the mystery was revealed, there was no place to use the stripes.  Rather than abandon those cute little blocks, I decided to go in another direction, so, I made more blocks and decided to set them on point:

Now my "Plus" blocks were turned into "X" blocks.  My plan was to use the striped fabric as a sashing in between the rows:

But,  then I realized that the stripes on my fabric did not run selvage to selvage.  The stripes were too short to extend from top to bottom.   I had to piece the sashing and match the stripes:

And then I had to do it again!
That striped fabric was really making me work!  😳

At last I had the blocks and sashing ready to sew together:

Inspired by the cover quilt on Kathleen Tracy's book, Small and Scrappy, shown below,

 I added a chunky border of two different blues and a tan calico for the corners:

A solid navy binding will contain it all together:

But first, it must be quilted of course!  It's amazing to me  how an  "out of the blue"  quilt project comes along and I have to just go along for the ride.  This wasn't even a quilt on my to-do list, but somehow it just had to be made.


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Another great project! You got those borders sewn together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. Took some trial and error, but I'm happy with the way they matched up.

      Delete
  2. Good things happen when you go rogue! Wouldn't "Out of the Blue" be the perfect name for this quilt? How big is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect name! Thanks for the idea! It's pretty small, measures about 19 X 26".

      Delete