Monday, December 10, 2018

Mad for Plaid


A recent post by fellow blogger Jeanne featured a green plaid fabric she has had in her stash for a long time.  I immediately recognized it as a fabric I also had in my stash. I had used it in a small wallhanging back when I was a new quilter.  It made me realize that this quilt was a good candidate for a "BTB - Before the Blog" post.

When I was first learning to quilt, my instructor told us to avoid plaids and stripes because they could be hard to work with.  I now know that she meant that advice mostly for beginners, but  knowing my personality, I also knew that unless I could keep the plaids all nice and straight in my finished quilt that they were not likely to be used in my quilts.

So how did I end up with a collection of plaid fabrics? Well, every month my quilt guild has a fabric raffle with a theme.  Members contribute a fat quarter to fit the theme, then the fabrics are divided up into several  packets and given to a few lucky winners.  One month the theme was "plaids".

I had one stray plaid fabric in my stash that I put into the fabric raffle that month,  hoping it would find a good home.  Guess who won the raffle?  Me, of course!  Now my one plaid fabric had turned into a half dozen or so.

I figured that the universe was trying to tell me that it was time to work with plaids.  So I challenged myself to make a quilt using only plaid fabrics.  I figured that if I kept the pieces small enough, I could cut very carefully and keep them lined up.

Next thing I knew, I was actually seeking out plaid fabrics at my nearest fabric store and buying small pieces to add to my new plaid stash.

I cut little snips of the plaids I had and stapled them to the back of a greeting card that I could carry with me as I shopped:

I decided on a Sawtooth Star block pattern, then chose pairs of light and dark plaid fabrics to make this little quilt:

The finished Sawtooth blocks measure 5 1/2 inches, and I handquilted it.

I was lucky enough to find the perfect backing fabric, a multi-plaid star fabric in all the right colors:

The Flying Geese units of the Sawtooth stars were made using a Flip and Sew technique.  As part of my sewing challenge to myself, I thought I would try using the little trimmed corners to make an even smaller quilt.  This little gem, made from the clipped corners,  has 2 1/2 inch finished stars: 

The points don't match, but the plaids are straight!  Anyhow, this little experiment in making miniature size blocks was not very successful, and I haven't tried using the clipped corners from a Flip and Sew technique again.  My sewing accuracy has definitely improved since then too!

And speaking of clipped, here is a photo of the two quilts side by side.
I don't know how I chopped off the left part of the mini in this photo.  

The plaid wallhanging has been hanging in my living room for a number of years, and looking at it today I realize the the blue/black check fabric I used for the border has faded quite a bit. On the right is a bit of the same border fabric that I still have in my stash. Big difference!

Despite the fading that shows it years, it's still a lovely little quilt that I enjoy very much.
post signature

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I too love plaids now but don't use them very often. When the pattern of the plaid isn't perfectly centered my eye immediately goes to that offending spot! I have hopes of making a all plaid quilt some day tho. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! "Offending" is the right word for it....my eyes see it as crooked even if it is straight. One other thing the same instructor told us is that your quilts will reflect your personality. At the time, I didn't understand how that worked, but I have come to know it to be true. Thanks for you comment.

      Delete
  2. I knew that quilt looked familiar! Plaid stars will always remind me of you! I never saw the little tiny one. So small! I don't mind plaids but I don't think I have too many in my stash. That's okay, I have every other fabric I've ever bought still in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever want to play with some plaid, I still have all the leftover bits in my stash! I only used that one little square from each.

      Delete
  3. That green plaid is really a classic isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I still have some of it. The red and green might make it a good fabric for a Christmas project.

      Delete
  4. Love your plaid quilts, Auntie Em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn! I might have to make another one someday now that my quilting skills have improved.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I have some of those plaids, too! I was able to use up quite a bit when a bachelor farmer asked for a quilt a couple years ago. Anyway, yours are sew cute! Especially the Little Gem!!!

    ReplyDelete