Friday, March 14, 2014

Swimming in Cotton Candy




While sorting out the sewing room, I put aside a selection of cotton candy colors to use for a donation quilt for Quilts for Kids.  At my next trip to the fabric store, I checked out the sale fabrics and found a cute whale print fabric that ended up being the perfect match for my cotton candy colors:


It's not often that you start with a pile of coordinates and then pick a focus fabric to go with it.  It's usually the other way around.   I decided on a Log Cabins style block with a 5 inch square of the whale fabric for the center.

For the surrounding "logs", I cut 2 1/2" strips in 3 sizes....5 inch, 7 inch and 9 inch.  (Nice even numbers that were easy to remember.)  I used a 1 1/2" strip for the white sashing, a 1 1/4" strip for the dark blue inner border and  4"strips for the binding.  The finished quilt measures 38 x 48".

It's been a while since I made a quilt with such bright and fun colors, and I have to say, I really enjoyed the chance to play around with these.



5 comments:

  1. Love the whale fabric in your quilt. Well done, co-ordinating such bright colours, some little person will like it.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice ,a child will certainly be thrilled with it .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt; so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! So fun and happy! You're going to make someone smile and feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sew cute! the child will be so happy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...