Friday, March 14, 2014

Swimming in Cotton Candy




While sorting out the sewing room, I put aside a selection of cotton candy colors to use for a donation quilt for Quilts for Kids.  At my next trip to the fabric store, I checked out the sale fabrics and found a cute whale print fabric that ended up being the perfect match for my cotton candy colors:


It's not often that you start with a pile of coordinates and then pick a focus fabric to go with it.  It's usually the other way around.   I decided on a Log Cabins style block with a 5 inch square of the whale fabric for the center.

For the surrounding "logs", I cut 2 1/2" strips in 3 sizes....5 inch, 7 inch and 9 inch.  (Nice even numbers that were easy to remember.)  I used a 1 1/2" strip for the white sashing, a 1 1/4" strip for the dark blue inner border and  4"strips for the binding.  The finished quilt measures 38 x 48".

It's been a while since I made a quilt with such bright and fun colors, and I have to say, I really enjoyed the chance to play around with these.



4 comments:

  1. Love the whale fabric in your quilt. Well done, co-ordinating such bright colours, some little person will like it.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice ,a child will certainly be thrilled with it .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! So fun and happy! You're going to make someone smile and feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sew cute! the child will be so happy.

    ReplyDelete