Denise eventually resorts to finding employment in the Ladieswear department at The Paradise. The series follows her journey as she learns to fit in at the store, and to deal with her fellow employees as she maps out her future.
The cast of characters includes:
- John Moray, the handsome and charismatic owner of the Paradise, who is still mourning the death of his wife.
- Katherine Glendenning, the rich society girl who is used to getting her own way and has her eyes set on John Moray.
- Miss Audrey, the prim and proper spinster who has devoted her life to her work as head of the Ladieswear department.
- Clara, a shopgirl who sees Denise as her biggest rival.
- Jonas Frank, the mysterious and menacing head of security.
- Dudley, Moray's assistant and the peacekeeper.
It took me a couple of episodes to really warm up to the story, perhaps because I thought it was going to be another "Mr. Selfridge", which never really grabbed my interest. The beautiful settings and costumes were enough to keep me going, and I'm very glad I did. There are only a couple of new episodes yet to air, but the first ones are available to watch at PBS online, and there is going to be a second season.
If nothing else, it's a very enjoyable show to watch while waiting for Season 4 of "Downton Abbey".