A few weeks ago, I came home with this set of scraps from a Super Bowl sale, and I have been tossing around ideas of what to do with them ever since.
Something about the neutral tones with the touches of pink was just very calming, and serene. It was just the feeling I was looking for in an otherwise hectic February. I chose a square-in-a-square block variation and sewed up the first block:
Not much contrast, I know, but I wanted more of a whisper than a shout.
Being a complicated block, it seemed best to paper piece it. I turned to my trusty Electric Quilt software, and created a pattern, dividing it up into five sections:
Then, knowing I wanted to make multiple blocks, I took the time to figure out the approximate size to cut each fabric piece for the least amount of waste. This was important, because I was working with some small sized scraps.
Piecing followed along pretty well, but I often had to stop and check to be sure I was using the correct triangles that I had intended in the right spot. I decided that a cutting diagram would be a good idea to help keep track of the pieces. I used a file folder, and made a true-to-scale drawing of each piece.
Sewing was a lot easier now that I had a way to keep things organized. Here are the two blocks that I have done so far:
and here are the fabrics I have chosen for the next few blocks.
Now that I have the cutting diagram for reference, I can cut pieces for more than one block at a time, and know that I can keep them organized as I progress with the sewing.