Thursday, February 14, 2013

Granny gets her day

Happy Valentine's Day!

I made this quilt, called "Valentines for Granny" in the Spring of last year.  It was too late to enjoy it for Valentine's Day of 2012, but now it has officially been hung up in the living room to celebrate the holiday.

The quilt that was hanging in that spot before "Granny" replaced it was a winter quilt of an ice skater that I made back in 1999.

Our guild challenge that year was to make a quilt representing the upcoming turn of the century to the new Millennium. We were given a fabric with "2000" printed on it that had to be used somewhere in the quilt.  Can you spot it?

How about now?
Yup.  There it is in her earmuffs.  In order to bring the Millennium theme to the forefront, I quilted "2000" in the ice section at the bottom of the quilt as if the little skater had just traced it with her skating.
Lucky for me, it was a year with lots of "0's".

Have a sweet day!  My parents are celebrating their 67th Valentine's Day together today!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your parents! Love the granny square wall hanging. So appropriate for today! I've always loved your skater quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how clever of you to make the 2000 in the skaters wake.

    How lovely to have both your parents still, they must be a grand old age now, I hope they have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your parents! I love the red Granny quilt--and the title. I have some 2000 fabric, too, that I'm actually using a bit of today. Hard to beleive it is 13 years old! It took me a while to spot yours in the quilt. Brilliant use of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both quilts - the old and the new!

    ReplyDelete