Saturday, August 4, 2012

Square peg, round hole

The Saturday Sampler BOM that I am doing has two blocks to prepare each month.  The "Basic" block is the one I showed in my last post. I also finished the "Challenge" block this week:

This pieced block was made using the faux applique gluestick method I described in a previous post.  I started with this rail fence block and a large piece of the blue background fabric:

A bit of cutting and pasting, followed by careful sewing,

and the block was done.

I cannot think of an easier method to use to applique a pieced block.  It's funny to me that this month's "Basic" block was so challenging, and the "Challenge" block was so easy.

Here are the four blocks I have made so far:

My friend Linda is doing the same Sampler using the black and white fabrics. These are her dramatic blocks:
Can hardly wait to see the finished pattern for these sampler blocks!



5 comments:

  1. Wow, the rail fence circle looks great (and hard to do!) Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The round applique block intrigues me...thank you for showing the clever tips
    for construction! Just added it to my "wish" list!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both sets of blocks look so different! Love the contrast between them! Love both colorways! Does Linda have a blog yet??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love both colorways. Those quilts will look so different from each other. Thanks for the tips on the round block. I really must try that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Em. I haven't quilted in so long I don't even know if I could do a circle any more!

    ReplyDelete