Thinking ahead for a class for Christmas I made a Snowflurries quilt from a pattern by Deb Tucker.
I chose fabrics that were not Christmas prints, but which were Christmas colors.
I started by piecing pairs of strips, and laying them right sides together
Next, I cut units on the diagonal.
Then I trimmed off one corner triangle,
and sewed that same triangle back to the original unit, but in a different location. This is where it goes:
Then the real magic began. I took the Rapid Fire ruler, lined it up at the inner tip of the star, and trimmed the outer edge to the perfect size:
When you sew the units together, you have one quarter of the LeMoyne star completed:
The final trim comes after you sew all four quarters together and you end up with a really perfect block:
After making the first block to understand the sequence, I did all the rest with chain piecing. I like how Deb made some stars with half green and half red backgrounds and came up with this neat overall design.
I can imagine this pattern done is shades of blue and white to really feel like snowflurries.