Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Blogger Girls and Flying Geese


Today I finished the March blocks for Monique Dillard's Blogger Girl's Block of the Month.  The two blocks are from the same pattern, although the Flying Geese units face toward the center on one block, and away from the center on the other block.

I realized that I had a Flying Geese ruler from Lazy Girl Designs that I have never used before. It's called the "Flying Geese X 4 No Math Ruler".   Strange, but I didn't even remember I had this ruler.  I just came across it recently during a sewing room re-organization.   This month's block was a perfect time to use it.

For each set of 4 Flying Geese, you cut one large square and four small squares.  The ruler has markings for up to 12 different sizes of Geese.

After cutting, you mark a diagonal line on the wrong side of the small squares, and start by lining up 2 of the small squares onto the opposite corners of the large square:
Stitch 1/4" on each side of the drawn line:
Cut them apart:

Press, and you have two units that look like this:

Take one of the remaining 2 small squares and place it on one unit like this:
Stitch 1/4" on each side of the drawn line.  Do the same thing for the second unit.
Cut apart on the line.

After you press them open, you have four very nicely made Flying Geese units.

 For each step with the purple and white, I also made a set using green and white.

Putting them together with some  half squared triangle units and my two blocks were sewn up in no time:

Here are the 6 blocks I have made so far:






post signature

2 comments:

  1. they look lovely, what pretty fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how these are looking! I also really enjoy seeing other ways to make flying geese. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete