Sunday, March 9, 2014

Colors good enough to eat



I was very inspired by a quilter in our guild who devotes most of her quilting time toward making Quilts for Kids.  Lynda has made a commitment to donate as many quilts as possible to the pediatric wards at two nearby hospitals.   Not only is she generous with using her own stash to make the quilts, but she also does the quilting on all the donated quilt tops that come her way.  I decided to check out my stash and see if I could come up with a quilt to donate.

I don't really have any juvenile prints,, but I did find a piece of this fun flower print that I thought would have kid appeal.

I went through my stash and tossed together an  assortment of reds, pinks, yellows and greens to go with it.
Some of them were uncut fat quarters, but most of them were leftovers from other projects.

I cut the flower fabric into 4" squares, and cut 2 or 3 squares from each of the others.
I really love this combination of colors!  I started by putting the squares together in a random arrangement, and added the flower print in a diagonal row.

I don't have much large yardage in my stash, so I didn't think I could come with a border, but I had just enough of a cherry red fabric to squeeze out a border.

The colors make me think of a fruit salad....cherry red, apple green, banana yellow and watermelon pink. There's a little cantaloupe in there too.     I'm hungry now.  Hope I remembered to buy some fruit....                          




post signature

4 comments:

  1. Such a cute quilt and a generous donation. My stash is small pieces since I only buy fabric when I know what I'm making with it. I just finished a scrap quilt that I love. Baby stash quilts would be a good idea for an upcoming humanitarian project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these colors together! Someone is going to love this quilt! I love using my fabric stash. It's amazing what you can make with leftover fabrics.

    ReplyDelete