Sunday, January 28, 2024

Putting the Cross in Quilt Crossing

I began the new year trying to organize my sewing room, and I made a discovery of an old cross stitch piece that I had almost finished.  

I had purchased the pattern on a visit to San Francisco during my cross stitch phase.  It is called "Street Scene" by Judith M. Kirby and it reminded me of the Victorian Houses you see so often in San Francisco.

At first, it looked like it was a finished piece, but then I took a closer look and saw these spaces:

Yep, it was all done except for 3 missing black lamp posts.  I think I remember that I had just run out of black floss at the time, and so the project stalled and got put aside for another day.   So I bought myself some new black floss and finally finished it!

By doing so, I remembered how much I used to enjoy cross stitching, so I decided to give it another try.  

I had been admiring the lovely little house patterns that designer Melisa over at Pinker n Punkin Quilting so generously shares on her blog. I chose her Spring Green Saltbox have enjoyed getting it started.  Here is what I have so far:

Can't wait to get around to stitching up that little sheep in the front yard.


Linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts







12 comments:

  1. I love all the Victorian houses that abound in San Fransisco. Love the street of 'Painted Ladies'. Your street of cross stitched houses is beautiful! I could live in that cute little pink house with the gabled roof. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I loved those houses too, so I had to buy the pattern for a souvenir.

      Delete
  2. Nice to finally finish the row of houses! Isn’t it funny what we find when we clean up??? Cute salt box house too. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just have to get it framed. Wonder how long that will take me? LOL!

      Delete
  3. Sreet scene is beautiful and really took no time at all to finish. You must be so pleased this long forgotten project is noe done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can't believe I got so far and then didn't cross the finish line for years!

      Delete
  4. Auntie Em - Beautiful row of houses! I am not a quilter, but I am obsessed by cross-stitching and can "empathize" with you being sucked back into it! (wink, wink) I am joining you from Slow Sunday Stitching - I am number 27 if you want to stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really seems as though cross stitch is enjoying a resurgence these days. I forgot how much I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. That street scene is beautiful. I am so glad you finished it and it reignited your cross-stitching bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. "Reignited" is probably the right word. I forgot how much fun it was to stand at the DMC thread counter and choose floss colors.

      Delete
  6. Clever blog post title! I was really into cross stitch ages ago. My thing was alphabet samplers, and I have a whole wall of them going up the stairs to the second floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that cross stitch is really enjoying a renewal these days. I see a lot where people say they cross stitched years ago and are now getting back into it. Love the idea of a wall of alphabet samplers.

      Delete