Sunday, January 20, 2019

Snow days are great for catching up

I had fallen a bit behind on my quilt guild's Block of the Month. ( In my defense, we are actually getting two blocks a month. 😄 )  Here are blocks 5 and 6:

All the blocks in this sampler are made up of only Half Square Triangles, and I have chosen to reduce my block size to 6 inches instead of 12.  One fun thing about using such small pieces is that I can get two separate looks from the same fabric.  For example, these charm squares

produced both of these squares:

This month we were given three blocks to make.  I got them finished today as part of the great Snow and Sew event happening in my sewing room:

It's fun to see how many designs you can get using only Half Square Triangles, but the downside is that sometimes it would be easier to make a larger unit such as a Flying Geese unit for some of the parts.  In this case, I got the stripes to line up pretty perfectly:

But as far as lining up these white rectangular boxes well....I didn't even try, other than getting them all in the same direction.

In the overall scheme of things, I know it won't matter.  It's just my observation.

Here is what the first 9 blocks look like.  Only 3 more to go!



post signature

1 comment:

  1. Your blocks look so pretty all together! It would definitely have been easier to use other techniques but I guess it's good practice!

    ReplyDelete