Monday, November 19, 2018

Weekend Sewing

Chilly and rainy weather this weekend made it a good weekend to stay in and sew.  I finished the next 2 blocks in my quilt  guild's Half Square triangle block of the month:

The pinwheel block on the left can only be made with 16 half square triangles, but it was tempting to make the one on the right by substituting Flying Geese like this:

However, I guess that would be contrary to the name of this quilt which is "Half Square Triangle Sampler", so I stuck with the program.  Here are the first 4 blocks:

Our guild is making Adult Clothing protectors as our charity project this Christmas. Basically they are adult bibs.   When my father developed Parkinson's disease, his shaky hands could make it hard to keep food from slipping off the fork or spoon and so I know firsthand how handy it was to have something to keep his clothes clean at mealtimes.  This weekend  I bought some fun, yet manly, fabrics and got them cut out and ready to sew into protectors.


Our guild is also having a fun challenge this year, which is to use a magazine photo as inspiration for a quilt.  I found a great page for my inspiration and spent the greater part of my sewing this weekend making the quilt top.   Can't share a photo of it  yet, but here are the fabrics I was working with:


Seems our quilt guild is keeping us busy with sewing this year!



post signature

2 comments:

  1. You're so far ahead with the quilt challenge! I've hardly looked at mine but I plan on doing it. I love your blocks for the BOM. The fabrics looks great all together.
    I'm not sure if I'm making the bibs. I feel so busy right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Half Square triangle BOM is a fun project, especially when I get to see yours too. With the challenge quilt, I got an idea in my head and I just had to try it out to see if it would
      work. I'm happy with it. Of course, now I have to quilt it!

      Delete