Friday, April 6, 2018

Springtime for Santa Domenico



Last fall, I designed a table runner based on a photo of the street tiles in Santa Domenica, Italy. You can read about that here.   I finally got it quilted and bound and ready for the table just in time for the Easter Bunny.

As a nod to it's street pavement inspiration, I wanted to quilt it in simple blocks.


The central white areas were easy to quilt, by just stitching in the seam allowances.  For the gold areas, I had to get a little more creative.  I decided to try using a hera marker to make guidelines for the quilting.



Using the ruler as a guide, I marked indentations on the fabric with the marker,

Then I stitched along the marked lines.

Since this was a project I designed through trial and error, I had a few pieced units left over.

I decided to use them to create matching coasters.

Here is the bunny-approved  runner on my table:

and here is a reminder of the street tiles that were the inspiration:


Happy Spring!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Lovely! I love finding inspiration in the world around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table runner looks just like the street tiles! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love your table runner! Such a great design.

    ReplyDelete