Thursday, February 22, 2018

Rookie mistake!

Our guild has issued a challenge to make a small quilt using only fabrics from  our stash.  I took a look through my fabric and found these little embroidered birdhouses that I bought at a quilt show years ago:

[redwork set of 6[21].jpg]

The birdhouse squares measure 5 inches, and I thought I would combine them with red and white pineapple blocks to make a little quilt.  I knew it was an opportunity to use the "4-5-6 Pineapple Trim" ruler that I had bought for my Long Time Gone quilt. 

"Great!", I thought, "I can make the 5 inch size Pineapples to go along with the 5 inch squares.

I happily started building each round of my Pineapple blocks:

After eight rounds, I had finished my Pineapples so I could set them out next to the birdhouses and see how it was going to look.

It was only then that I realized my Rookie mistake....

The birdhouse squares measured 5 inches unfinished, and the Pineapple blocks measured 5 inches finished!

I do not  know how I could fail to realize that the birdhouse blocks would finish at only 4 1/2 inches.  (*smacks head with  palm of hand*)

It's going to take some creativity to make this work, but I'm determined to get a finished mini quilt out of it.  Stay tuned....


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Hi Em, This will be a cute little quilt when you are done. This is just a thought, but could you replace the red corners on the pineapple blocks with white and then trim all sides by a quarter of an inch to match your birdhouses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one possibility I am considering, but I just hate to trim down those pineapples. I'm thinking about adding a neutral border to the redwork squares to enlarge them. Thanks for your comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those reds! You could frame the embroidered blocks to match the pineapple blocks. You'll think of something!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to stay true to the challenge and find something in my stash that I can use, but we'll see.

      Delete