I set the units into alternating directions and came up with this:
To be honest, I thought the vertical units of the white flowere fabric would look more like stripes, but that's what happens sometimes when you work on the fly. I brought scraps of the fabrics to the fabric store and found this watermelon fabric that I thought would tie it all together.
I added a narrow strip of a dark pink as an inner border, and the whole thing turned out like this:
I had quite a few units left over, and so the next day I made up another quilt top with just the leftovers:
I actually like it better than my original plan, in fact I might make another just like it.
While I was working on my pink watermelon top, my friend Linda was busy sewing up two quilt tops from kits that our Quilt for Kids chapter puts together. I wish I had taken photos of the two cute quilt tops that she finished that day.
I liked the idea of sewing from a precut kit, so I decided to make up a couple of my own.
I had one yard each of a football fabric and an fish fabric.
I picked a tone-on-tone yellow that coordinated with both of them, and then a blue and green to pair with the yellow.
The last piece of the puzzle was to search the stash to find a fabric for a narrow inner border for each. For the fish quilt, I chose an orange, and for the football quilt, I found a dark brick red that matched the footballs. I cut all the fabrics and had two kits ready to go:
In what seemed like very little time at all, I put together both quilt tops. By working on both kits at the same time, I was able to save steps at the ironing board and at the cutting table. Besides, not being a football fan, it was great to have a project to work on while everyone else was watching the Superbowl.
Here is the fish quilt:
And here is the football quilt:
Hope this quilt makes some little football fan happy. I know that the football fans in my house were not too happy last night.