Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Hillside Houses

I recently came across the Hillside Houses pattern by Christina Tepsick who blogs over at Pretty Little Quilts.

Christina offered the patterns for free as part of a weekly quilt-along that she organized earlier this year.  I missed out on the quilt-along, but the patterns are still available, so I am going to work on this solo.  Christina wrote the pattern with 3 different size options: a bed size, a wallhanging and a mini.  I'm going to do the wallhanging.

I don't have a stash of solid fabrics like the ones shown in the pattern, but I do have quite a collection of batiks, so I'm going to make mine using those.  Only problem is that for each medium to dark batik, you need a lighter one to pair with it.  I don't have much for light batiks, but I did have a gift certificate to Keepsake Quilts burning a hole in my pocket so I purchased a selection of light colored batiks:

I immediately started pairing up lights and darks and set them out on the spare bed.

For a couple of days, every time I walked by I would go in and rearrange things to make new combinations.

Finally, I decided on the final pairings, and made up a little fabric swatch card for each set so that I would remember who went with who.

Then the real fun began, deciding which set of fabrics to use on each house.  Christina's instructions included a coloring page to help sort it all out.  I always love a good session with some colored pencils.  Over the years, as the kids got boxes of new colored pencils, the old ones were given to Mom.  I've collected a nice assortment from their castoffs;

Soon, an arrangement of swatches that looked like this:

were translated in a coloring that looks like this:

I am going to use the same fabric for all of the roof pieces.  It's a dark teal and purple batik with designs that reminded me of shingles.

Now that I have the blueprint, this architect is ready to start building!



post signature

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how this is going to look!! Beautiful fabric! Looks like you're all set to start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...