Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Snow days and Sew days

Two days of winter weather were the perfect excuse to stay home and just sew.  Luckily, we didn't lose electricity during Snowpocalypse 2015, so I was able to use my sewing machine.

The quilt I am making is a Mini Lotus pattern by Jaybird quilts.  I had all the pieces cut out  before the storm, so I began by sketching out a diagram and using colored pencils to figure out how I wanted to sew them all together:

I needed a diagram, because the quilt is made up of triangle units,

but I wanted to make some of them look like flowers:
(Although, in this weather, they started to remind me more of snowflakes.)

After piecing the rows, the top looked like this:

The pattern calls for simply trimming the sides into a rectangle, and leaving it at that.  But,  I added a narrow border of the background fabric, and then a wider border of the print that I bought to match the jelly roll:



I kind of love it!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. So pretty!! How big is it? I love how you added the flowers and the narrow border as well as the outer border. Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of live it, too. Great way to spend a snow day.

    ReplyDelete