Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Baby Elephant Walk

Here's my formula for a quick and easy kid-sized quilt:

You need about a yard of a focus fabric, about 3/4 yard for sashing, and 5 fat eighths of complimentary fabrics for vertical stripes.

I chose this cute elephant fabric for my focus fabric:



To begin:
Cut 5 strips 4 1/2 x 20" from the focus fabric
Cut 1 strip 4 1/2 x 20" from each of the 5 fat eighths,
Cut 10 strips 1 1/2 x width of fabric for the sashing.  Subcut those into twenty 1 1/2 x 20" strips.



Sew a narrow sashing strip to both sides of all the wider strips:

Subcut the sewn strips into 6 1/2" squares:

Arrange the blocks, 5 across by 6 down,  lining up the strips for a woven effect.

Sew together row by row.  Add a 1 1/2" inner border of sashing fabric, and a 4" outer border of focus fabric:


And your quilt top is done! Size of the finished quilt top is 40 x 46", a great size for a kids quilt.
post signature

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted these directions. I think it will come in handy when I have to make a quilt for someone's child. Too bad my own kids are too big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea - perfect for that fabric you want to feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed a quick baby quilt pattern me this was it. The directions are easy to follow. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete