Thursday, June 21, 2012

Applique, the gluestick way

Today I learned a new method to applique a circle. 

I started out by making a template from 2 stiffened pieces of freezer paper.

Then I ironed the template onto the wrong side of the background fabric.

Next, I cut out the center of the circle, leaving about a 3/4" seam allowance, clipped the curves and lightly tacked them with fabric glue onto the freezer paper.

Then more glue was applied over the turned seam allowances, and I layered the focus fabric over that.

The next step was to remove the freezer paper template. (verrrrrry carefully!) You can see in the next photo that the result is to have the clipped seam allowances lightly adhered to the focus fabric.

Finally, a good pressing to set the crease and it was time to sew.  I followed the fold line created by the iron and stitched in the ditch.

When I made my way all the way around, it looked like this:

The last step was to trim away the seam allowance.

After a quick touch with iron, the block was done. 

As far as the finished product goes, I would call it a success.  Technically, it is not an appliqued block.  It is really a pieced block.  The technique did allow me to construct the block fairly quickly compared to traditional applique, but I must admit it felt more like a craft project than a sewing project.

This method was new to me, but it has been around for at least a few years.  There was an episode of Simply Quilts where Dale Fleming demonstrated this exact technique.  You can view that here if you want to get more information, or if you just want to revisit Alex Anderson in the HGTV wayback machine.


post signature

6 comments:

  1. I do not remember that technique from Simply Quilts. It looks like it would be fun to try, though. I'm thinking maybe of making a circle like you did, and then cutting it in quarters for drunkard's path units. Hmmm. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try this technique. I saw that episode of Simply Quilts a couple of months ago on the internet. You did a great job on yours! It seems to me you could push the envelope with this technique making ovals, egg shapes, and who knows what else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I miss that show. I used to watch it early in the morning after I got my little one on the bus for school when I longed and dreamed of being a quilter! Now here it is about 10 years later, and I finally am living the dream...haha I don't know what was stopping me before

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat way of sewing a circle! It reminds me of reverse applique. Didn't Beth Ferrier always use a glue stick when we were working on Moon Dance? I always did hand applique and I think you did too. Nice to learn new methods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out really nice but I think I am done with curves for a while :-) Hmmm, waiting a year to see how the finished project will look. How can you stand it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen that technique before! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete