Monday, February 28, 2011

Kaleidoscope progress

Had some fun playing with this kaleidoscope pattern this weekend.

I left the templates in the picture so you can see that this quilt is actually designed in wedges.  In the end, there will be 12 (!) wedges that need to be sewn together to create the quilt.  We'll see how much hair I have left after that step.

It only has 3 of the outermost units on the design wall because I am using fat quarters rather than the full width of fabric to make my strip sets.  I'll need to make a second strip set to cut the other three units.

I thought I was making a mostly blue/purple quilt, and I was surprised at how much the green stands out.  This quilt is full of surprises.  You don't really know what you will end up with, until you cut the units and put them up.

I have been fortunate enough to find two other quilt bloggers who are currently working on this quilt.  You can see Patty's progress here and Carol's progress here.   Both are gorgeous. 

Now back to the sewing machine.....

post signature

5 comments:

  1. The green sets it off beautifully. I have the book on my Amazon wishlist and can't wait to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green really highlights the other colors and I like how your pieces get bigger toward the outside of the medallion. After sleeping on my disappointment, I decided to make at least one more round to see if it improves things. I'll probably be ready to post that photo tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say thanks for adding a link to my blog in today's post. I'm rather new to blogging so I'm thankful for any additional traffic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours kaleidoscope looks great! And thanks for linking to my site. It's been so lovely to have other co-quilters working on this!

    ReplyDelete