It began when I purchased a rotary cutting mat and wanted to try it out. I started with the nearest pile of scraps, and started cutting out 2 1/2" squares.
Because I enjoyed the process, I dove into my non-scrap fabrics and starting cutting 2 1/2" squares from them. Before you know it, I had this stack, which I sorted by color:
As my collection grew, I separated the one big stack into piles by color.
I tried to roughly arrange the colors by their neighbors on the color wheel,
and then I started sewing them together into 4 patches.
I used my camera to take lots of pictures of the 4 patches so that I could remember where I had positioned them, and then started sewing them together.
In the end, I had a quilt top with a total of about 400 squares. I decided to quilt it with a large circular swirl to accentuate the "bursting" effect.
What had started out as just an experiement with a new toy, ended up being a fun excercise in color play, and an interesting quilt was the result. I entered it into my guild's annual show and got a first place Viewer's Choice ribbon.