Saturday, April 24, 2010
Sewing Box facelift
After the buttons and notions were removed, I found that the satin lining of the box had ripped away from the bottom in a few places.
You can see that behind the satin lining is actual wood which is something you don’t see in a modern sewing box.
I didn’t think I could repair the existing satin, so I went to my local JoAnn’s and bought some co-ordinating ribbon and fabric:
With a lot of patience, a challenge to my dexterity and some ribbon and glue, I managed to connect the sides of the satin lining to the bottom. Then I created a new bottom by covering some cardboard with lightweight batting and the fabric. Voila!
My Great Aunt Florence's vintage sewing box lives on to carry the sewing notions of a new generation. Granted, I will be very careful not to overload it with buttons this time around.