Thursday, September 10, 2009

Finally, a finish!

After a long absence, I finally got back to my poor, lonely sewing machine, and made myself a black and white tote.
bw tote
It’s a slim bag, with musical themed fabrics to hold my music when I travel to choral rehearsals.  Instead of using a decorative machine stitch, I added some red piping where the vertical stripes meet the horizontal ones.
bw piping detail
I also added a pocket in the lining to hold a pen and a cell phone.
bw inside pocket
It was a real treat to get back to sewing again, but I think my machine is mad at me after a summer of neglect.  The tension in the bottom thread is very unpredictable.  I had to do a lot of fussing to get it to cooperate.  I think I need to take the machine in for a tune-up, but at least it last long enough to get the bag finished.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love it and what appropriate fabric for your music .The red just sets off the black and white .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tote. I love the fabric. I have to admit I've been neglecting my machine. It hasn't been in for service since I bought it 3 years ago. But, I wasn't doing much sewing until this year. Now that my interest in sewing has come back, I don't want to give it up to be serviced!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your bag, I agree the red does set off the black and white. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are most welcome for the comment. Your bag is precious, and I also love the red added in there. I sent my machine in to be cleaned because I could not stand to have it gone in the winter.

    ReplyDelete