Monday, June 25, 2012

Knitting again


The unexpected sweater for my son  project has been sitting there mocking me for a couple of months now.  I first set it aside because I was having trouble with my shoulder, but I admit that it has been hard to go back to because I am at the point where I need to make it FIT.

A second reason for not rushing back to the project is that I have to pull out and reknit about 8 inches of the front due to an error in the cable.

Now it seems, I have yet another problem to contend with...the sleeves!

This is the store bought sweater that I have been using for a size comparison as I knit the new sweater. Let's call this the "control" sweater.

Here is the front of the knit sweater compared to the control sweater.  You can see that the curve of the armhole is a pretty good match.  The same is true for the back.

After knitting the first sleeve, I wanted to compare it to the sleeve on the control sweater, so I made a tissue paper pattern. 

I unfolded the tissue paper pattern, and laid the sleeve over it, expecting them to be somewhat similiarly shaped.  They were not.


The blue line indicates where the paper pattern measures up underneath the sleeve.  Now, I know that there is a lot of stretch and some room for adjustment in a knitted fabric, but I just don't see how this sleeve is going to fit into the armhole.

Look at it this way.  When I lay the sleeve against the control sweater, it extends well above the shoulder seam, and it appears that it will pull across the chest.

So.

What now?

Back to the drawing board, I guess.


I KNEW I should have stuck with afghans.
post signature

5 comments:

  1. Does your son like pullover vests?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your control sweater has a set-in sleeve.
    It looks like the sleeve you're knitting is a raglan sleeve.
    So, that makes two of us who are now confused. I'm so sorry I couldn't be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a knitter, so I have no advice, but I feel your frustration. I find myself in similar situations all the time.

    ReplyDelete