Saturday, July 4, 2015

4th of July with no Fireworks

My quilt guild is putting together a calendar with a quilt photo for each month.  Guild members could submit photos to be included in the calendar.  They had to be 16" X 20" in size, and be representative of a particular month.  My month was July.  Without any particular plan, I started out with these fabrics:

I decided to make my quilt with 4-inch blocks arranged in a 3 X 4 setting.  I chose a LeMoyne Star for my block pattern, and used Electric Quilt to come up with a design.  In my head, I was thinking "Patriotic Fireworks".

I used Deb Tucker's Rapid Fire LeMoyne Star ruler to create the blocks, and played around with various combinations of striped and solid fabrics.  Using the red/white/blue striped fabric for all eight points of the star was rather dizzying to look at.  I decided that alternate points of navy blue would be better.



I quilted around each star, and used 3/8" spaced diagonal straight lines for the background.

The  16 X 20" size limit made it difficult to do much with sashing and borders. In the end, I went with no sashing, a 1/2" red border, and a 2" border of the Fireworks fabric.

This is the only picture I have of the finished quilt.  I brought it to our June meeting, thinking I would have the opportunity to bring it back home to get better photos of it.  However, the quilts were retained by the Calendar Committee for photography.

So here it is, July 4th, and I don't have my Fireworks quilt to display.  No problem.   It will be ready for next year, though!

Hope everyone has a Happy July 4th!


post signature

3 comments:

  1. Happy 4th of July! Love your wall hanging! I got a better look of it on your blog than at the guild! I can't wait to see it on the calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent finish, and perfect for Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice quilt. love the fireworks fabric

    ReplyDelete