My quilt guild had a challenge that year and the theme was "New Beginnings". All participants were given a fat quarter of the fabric pictured below and we had to use it in some way in the quilt.
I used a butterfly block pattern that I found on the Quilter's Cache website. The challenge fabric was used in the butterfly in the middle row on the right. The finished quilt measured 36 inches square.
The individual blocks were paper pieced butterflies.
If you look ever so closely, you might be able to tell that I hand quilted 2 little antennae at the top of the black body. The rest of the quilting was done on my home sewing machine.
I wish I had better photos of the quilt, but I don't have it anymore. I gave it as a present to a young lady who was making her First Communion that same year. It seemed like "New Beginnings" was an appropriate theme for the occasion.
How wonderful it was to receive a note from her in the mail a few days later: