Friday, October 20, 2017

When Genealogy meets Quilting

When I'm not occupied with making quilts, I'm very likely to be researching ancestors.  On my Italian side, I learned that prior to immigrating to the U.S., my grandfather lived in Santa Domenica Vittoria in Sicily.

Earlier this year, while on vacation in Italy, my brother and his wife visited Santa Domenica and took  this photo of the beautiful stonework streets.

Of course, as a quilter, my first thought was to make a quilt from the pattern.   I brought a copy of the photo to my local quilt shop and picked out these fabrics:

Then I set about using Electric Quilt software to come up with a pattern. I decided to make a table runner.  I did a little virtual design, and  also did some old school cutting and pasting and came up with this:

Here is a portion of how it all came together:

It's not quilted yet, but I expect to have it on my table soon.





post signature

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Love the outcome. Italian towns always seem to have lovely roads and pavements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Winifred. You are right, I saw lots of pretty paved streets in the other photos they shared, but this one was my favorite.

      Delete
  2. So pretty! And a wonderful way to pay homage to your Italian background! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Rosemary. I can't wait to get it quilted and on my table. I plan on doing some straight line quilting to get the look of stones.

      Delete
  3. Wow! It came out great! And wonderful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Having the "homeland" inspire the quilt made it a really enjoyable project.

      Delete
  4. Love this! Have you finished quilting it? Please post

    ReplyDelete